Baseball, Men's Sports, Sports

LBSU falls at Blair Field

The Long Beach State baseball team dropped a three game series for its first sweep loss of the season when Hawai’i visited Blair Field over the weekend.

“It’s as much of a gut check and a mentality thing [you can get],” LBSU head coach Troy Buckley said. “I asked the players if this is the same team that swept Wichita and Northridge.”

The Dirtbags (23-20, 8-10 Big West) never led in Sunday’s 6-2 loss to the Rainbow Warriors (18-26, 9-9 Big West). Junior righty Tanner Brown gave up four hits and allowed five men on base in the first inning, only to fall behind 3-0.

Lefty senior Ryan Strufing entered the game in the sixth inning and promptly gave up a lead off double to sophomore lefty Marcus Doi. Doi would make his way home to make 5-0 in the Rainbow Warriors favor.

“You almost want to have this excitement [in that situation],” Buckley said. “But I think there is this negative anticipation because of the lack of [offensive] production.”

The Dirtbags finally got on the board in the seventh inning when freshman outfielder Tristan Mercadel led off with a base hit and junior catcher Eric Hutting brought him in to make it 5-1. The Dirtbags tried to make a run in the bottom of the ninth inning with a score by Mercadel but ultimately fell. The Dirtbags are now 0-17 on the season when trailing after eight innings.

Long Beach State infielder Zack Domingues attempts to throw out a runner at first base on Sunday against Hawaii at Blair Field.
Bobby Yagake | Daily 49er

“It’s disappointing, but we can’t let that get to us,” junior right-fielder Zack Rivera said.

Freshman righty Chris Mathewson struck out eight and lowered his Big West leading ERA to 1.39 in the Dirtbags 1-0 loss on Saturday. Mathewson gave up the lone run in the fourth inning to junior designated hitter Alex Sawelson.

The Dirtbags let their early lead slip away late in Friday’s 7-4 loss to the Rainbow Warriors. Hampson got the offense going for the Dirtbags in the first inning by drawing a walk and stealing second base. The next two batters grounded out, which allowed Hampson to cash in for the 1-0 Dirtbag lead.

The Rainbow Warriors tied it up 1-1 in the third inning when senior righty Kyle Friedrichs gave up a double and a base hit.

“We didn’t make enough quality decisions,” Buckley said. “Some of its IQ and some of its talent.”

Hawai’i kept the pressure up and put two more runs on the board to take their first lead of the game 6-4. Freshman righty Darren McCaughan entered the game in the ninth inning, but a bunt, a throwing error and a single made it 7-4. The Dirtbags didn’t score again, and Hampson attributed it to the team not taking good at-bats late in the game.

“It’s kind of like the story of the season so far,” Hampson said. “We take a couple steps forward, but then it seems like we take a couple steps back.”

The Dirtbags will hit the road this week and take on UNLV Tuesday at 3:05 p.m.