Men's Volleyball, Sports

LBSU’s TJ DeFalco impresses at Pan American games in Toronto

TJ DeFalco has yet to play a game for Long Beach State, but making the national volleyball team at the 2015 Pan American games at the age of 18 is already a promising sign.

DeFalco started the games on the bench, but slowly worked his way into the lineup.

In USA’s first match against Puerto Rico last Friday, the outside hitter entered the game in the third set and contributed with two points in his short appearance. USA went on to lose to the Puerto Ricans 3-1.

On Sunday, USA took on neighbors Mexico in game two of the tournament. DeFalco again started on the bench, but made an earlier appearance by coming on in the first set for Libero AJ Nally and never looked back. The soon-to-be LBSU freshman started the next three sets and put up 11 points in a 3-1 win.

Head coach Charles Sullivan made the decision to start DeFalco in USA’s matchup with hosts Canada on Tuesday. USA jumped to an early 2-0 lead, but ultimately fell 3-2 after a furious Canadian comeback. DeFalco started all five sets and won 10 points.

Despite the two losses, the U.S. national team had a chance at bringing home some hardware by beating Argentina in the quarterfinal.

DeFlaco started once again for USA, but was subbed out in the first set after a rough start to the game. The Huntington Beach native reappeared in the third set, but by then Argentina had too big of a lead. The Argentines ended up shutting out the U.S. 3-0 eliminating them from the games.

USA still has a game to play, a placing match for fifth place against the loser of the Cuba and Puerto Rico match. That game will be played on Friday and after that USA returns home empty handed.