Soccer, Sports

LBSU women’s soccer ready for kick off

The LBSU women’s soccer team will start a new quest for the Big West championship next week by hitting the road and taking on San Diego State in the first game of the 2015 season.

The 49ers will be looking for a little vengeance this year after just missing out on the NCAA tournament in 2014. LBSU lost 2-1 in a hard fought Big West tournament final against Fullerton that would’ve put them into the post season.

Several important figures will be returning to the field or to the sidelines once again for the 49ers in 2015.

Head coach Mauricio Ingrassia will be returning for his 12th year in charge of the women’s soccer team. Ingrassia has a record of 124-76-26 in 11 years at LBSU and has taken his teams to four NCAA tournament appearances in that span.

The 49ers will also benefit from returning players like Big West Goalkeeper of the Year Ashton McKeown, Big West Midfielder of the Year Mimi Rangel, Big West Freshman of the Year Ashley Gonzalez and senior forward Vania Robles.

McKeown had nine clean sheets and a Big West leading 91 saves last season. Rangel, Gonzalez and Robles provided 16 of LBSU’s 20 goals and eight of the team’s 17 assists.

LBSU will play an alumni game at George Allen Field on Sunday, Aug. 9 before heading out to San Diego to play the Aztecs on Aug. 14 at 7 p.m. The first home game will be against UCLA on Aug. 21 at 7 p.m.

Click here for the 2015 LBSU women’s soccer schedule.