Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

LBSU goes 2-1 at Harvard Invitational

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team, led by sophomore middle blocker Ashley Murray, ended the Harvard Invitational tournament on a high note.

The 49ers dropped the first match of the tournament, falling to Illinois St. on Friday, before defeating Rutgers and sweeping Harvard on Saturday.

LBSU fought against Illinois St., staying close during the last two sets of the match, but was unable to finish on top. The 49ers kept the score close in all three sets, but were unable to put down a set point, leaving the door open for the Redbirds to take the match.

The 49ers came back Saturday to take down Rutgers in four sets, with senior setter Jenelle Hudson recording 48 assists to give her hitters a .322 average for the match. Murray recorded 12 kills on 19 attempts with only one error to take down the Scarlet Knights.

Murray brought the same intensity in the final match against Harvard, slamming down 14 kills with no errors for a .737 hitting percentage. Murray and Hudson were honored with All-Tournament Honors for their performances over the weekend.

The 49ers return to action as co-hosts with Loyola Marymount for the Mizuno Invitational, with the two teams facing off on Thursday at LMU.