Sports, Women's Sports

LBSU cheer and dance teams looking for muscle for upcoming competition season

Long Beach State’s spirit team is looking to man up.

The squad is hoping the next few years bring in the muscle needed to win at the national competitions; with only one male on LBSU’s cheer team, the squad lacks the catapults to put on high-flying stunts.

Junior cheer co-captain Sarah Black said her team watches and learns from other schools that have stronger teams because of the men on the squad.

“We watch the other collegiate teams because they are just so amazing and they have lots of boys,” Black said. “That makes a huge difference because girls have a smaller muscle structure, guys can just beef out and throw a girl fifty feet in the air.”

Black said the University of Kentucky has one of the strongest teams in the nation. They have 20 National Championship titles to prove it, all of them coming within the last 30 years. They also have 12 men on the team.

The University of Alabama unseated Kentucky last year by taking home the 2015 National Championship. Alabama’s team consisted of 12 men and 10 women.

Because the LBSU spirit team can’t compete in the same division as the top squads in the nation, Black said the team is resigned to attending competitions as a bonding event.

“We try to keep a positive outlook wherever we place because we’re there together and having fun and making memories,” Black said.

The LBSU cheerleaders and dancers are not the typical archetype of the athletes seen in movies. Head coach Rey Lozano said that one of the most important aspects of being a part of the cheer and dance squads is to have a positive attitude and make sure that all of the athletes bring their alacrity and effulgence.

The members have to be apart of the spirit squad and attend sporting events before they will be considered for the competition team. Lozano said that the most important aspect of being apart of the cheer and dance teams is that the athletes are strong team players.

“First, we want to emphasize that they’re good game leaders and they want to come to games and support the athletic teams, and not just be in it for themselves and just for the sake of competing,” said Lozano.

Many of the athletes trying out for the team have been cheering or dancing their whole lives and wanted a chance to get more involved at their new home.

Chloe Lawrence, a freshman dance major trying out for the spirit team, said that growing up, she loved the team dynamic that she saw with the LBSU sprit team and always wanted to be apart of a group like that.

“I’ve watched them since I was really little and I think they’re so in sync with each other,” said Lawrence. “I’ve always seen great teachers I’ve had come out from the dance team they’re all so tight with each other and unified.”

The LBSU cheer and dance teams’ first competition is in January in Orlando, Florida against schools from all over the country.