Soccer, Sports, Women's Sports

LBSU women’s soccer’s Mimi Rangel speaks

As one of the most veteran members on Long Beach State’s women’s soccer team, junior midfielder Mimi Rangel has led the 49ers from a dismal season in 2013, going 2-3-3 in the conference, to a hot start in 2015.

Rangel has totaled nine goals and 11 assists in just over two seasons at LBSU. She was also selected as the Big West’s best freshman in 2013 and best midfielder in 2014.

The Chino native took a moment to talk about the impact of soccer on her life, her role on the team and life after college in an interview with the Daily 49er.

Are you confident in winning a championship and making it into the NCAA Tournament this season?

I think the team is realizing that we’re a top team. We beat UCLA our first game with only two weeks of training and introducing it to the new people. After that I think it kind of opened up our eyes to what we’re really trying to accomplish and that if we really want this; if we want to prove the world wrong, then we can do it. We just need to play together and not doubt our abilities and know that we can do it. We’re still learning, we’re still hitting some bumps and what not, but that’s part of the process.

How has soccer influenced your life?

It’s definitely my place of comfort when I just need to not focus on anything, when I need to just kick a ball around and stuff like that. It’s definitely inspired me to just know that if I want something, I can do it. With soccer, I’m not the tallest person, I’m not the strongest person out there, but I definitely have found ways to really express myself and really out do myself and show myself, show my skills. It’s definitely proven to me that if I set my mind to something, I can do whatever I [want].

How do you feel about your role as a leader on the team?

I believe my role is to really show my teammates that I’m here for them and that everything I do is for them. I want to do whatever I can to get a win, to score, to set up other people, you know.

Do you want to pursue a career in soccer after college?

I definitely do. I would love to continue to play and explore other parts of the world through the sport and see other things. I definitely do want some type of professional career. I feel that I want to give back to every body else that has helped me through this sport, and make a difference as well. Soccer isn’t the most famous sport, especially for women, but it’s definitely getting up there now; especially with the world cup. I would love to continue to play.

Any other career options?

Coaching has always been one. I love the sport and I want to do whatever I can to express my knowledge and express what I know about it to other people. I’ve been thinking about physical therapy as well.

But definitely something related to the sport?

Yeah, definitely related to sport or something with sports in general because I don’t ever see myself not being associated with any type of sport at all. I love being athletic, I love the whole atmosphere of sports in general, I love watching it, all kinds of them, so it’s definitely something I will gear towards career wise, preferably soccer.

What was it about soccer that made you like it so much?

It was fun, like being able to score a goal. As I got older I realized that there’s much more to it and there’s endless opportunities you can gain from it. I’m able to be [at LBSU], getting an education, having it paid for, thankfully. Also all the friendships I’ve gained through soccer. Now that I’m older, I feel that it’s more of a lifestyle for me and I’m able to release my stress out through the sport.