Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Volleyball’s Big West battle begins

The No. 25 Long Beach State women’s volleyball team looks to defend their conference championship as Big West league play starts Sept. 25 against UC Davis.  The 49ers (10-3) went undefeated in the Big West Conference last season to give LBSU its 13th championship in program history. They were chosen to finish second behind No. 11 Hawaii in the 2015 pre-season coaches poll. The Daily 49er and head coach Brian Gimmillaro scouted the competition and highlighted each Big West team and the notable performances in the pre-season matches.

Cal State Fullerton: (0-12)

Last season, the 49ers performed straight sweeps in both matches against the Titans. Fullerton has yet to find their first win this season under new head coach Ashley Preston. The Titans will face off against the 49ers first in Fullerton on Nov. 4, then at the Walter Pyramid Nov. 20.

Player to watch: Freshman middle blocker Summer Kerins leads the Titans with 88 kills, 286 total attacks and 2.4 points per set.

2014 Big West Record: 2-14

Coaches’ View: “Fullerton had match point against Alabama, so I see them and they’re playing pretty hard. They’re pretty athletic too, even though they’re not winning, they will continue to improve.”

Cal State Northridge: (1-11)

When the Matadors took on the 49ers last season, it was a battle of two undefeated teams in the conference; LBSU ultimately won. CSUN’s first and only win this season came against Florida A&M with senior outside hitter Cieana Stinson leading the young squad with nine freshman. Stinson will attempt to lead her team to topple the 49ers on Oct. 17 at the Pyramid and in Northridge on Nov. 13.

Player to watch: Senior outside hitter Cieana Stinson has 3.33 kills per set for a total of 143 kills on 391 total attacks.

2014 Big West Record: 10-6

Coaches’ View: “Northridge had a setback because one player couldn’t go, and so they’re not playing as well. But they could be pretty good by the time the season is over.”

Cal Poly:(8-3)

The Mustangs kicked off the 2015 season with their best start since 2001. Cal Poly won eight of the first ten matches this season, collecting wins on the road against Fresno St. and Idaho before winning its first match at home against San Diego State. The Mustangs match up against the 49ers Oct. 2 in San Louis Obispo before heading down the coast to Long Beach on Oct. 24.

Player to watch: Sophomore setter Taylor Nelson ranks first in the Big West with 10.75 assists per set and second in assists with 430; LBSU’s senior setter Jenelle Hudson ranks first with 514.

2014 Big West Record: 4-12

Coaches’ View: “They’ve improved, their personnel is good and so they’re going to be a tougher test this year than last.”

UC Irvine: (6-6)

LBSU opened up their conference play last season against the Anteaters, marking the first win of the 49ers undefeated conference season. On Sept. 19, Irvine snapped a 16-match losing streak to No. 21 UC San Diego. The Anteaters out-blocked the Toreros 29-10 in their win. Irvine takes on the 49ers in the Pyramid on Sept. 26 before LBSU travels to the Anteaters home Oct. 29.

Player to watch: Junior outside hitter Victoria Dennis ranks fifth in the Big West in kills (153), total attacks (427) and points per set (3.8).

2014 Big West Record: 9-7

Coaches’ View: “Irvine’s replaced a few players they needed to replace with good players, so they’re playing pretty well. They have a couple new players who are helping them and playing well for them.”

UC Riverside: (5-8)

Last season, the Highlanders felt the wrath of a tight 49er defense in the first meeting; LBSU held Riverside to a -.066 hitting percentage in the first match-up. Senior outside hitter Helena Peric has headed the offense for Riverside, posting double-digit kill totals in matches against Northern Arizona University and Grand Canyon University. The Highlanders face the 49ers in Long Beach on Oct. 6 then in Riverside on Nov. 21.

Player to watch: Junior libero Maddie Hubbell leads the Big West with 229 digs and 4.77 digs per set.

2014 Big West Record: 0-16

Coaches’ View: “Riverside has improved. Riverside is so much better than they have been. They have some new kids who have done well.”

UC Davis: (5-9)

The 49ers locked up the Big West title last season by sweeping the Aggies. So far this season, Davis has battled, but ultimately fallen to top teams like No.4 Nebraska and No.19 Colorado State. The Aggies open Big West play against the 49ers on Sept. 25 at the Pyramid before matching up again in Davis on Oct. 31.

Player to watch: Senior outside hitter Kaylin Squyres leads the Big West in kills (228) and total attacks (605).

2014 Big West Record: 10-6

Coaches’ View: “UC Davis is not playing as well right now, but I figured they’d be doing better at this point, so they have the players to do better and we’ll just have to see as the year progresses. Again, they have some physically talented players.”

UC Santa Barbara: (4-7)

The Gauchos have had a shaky start in 2015. UCSB fell to the tough, then No. 17 UCLA and then to No. 18 UCSD. The Gauchos face the 49ers on Oct. 3 at home before traveling to Long Beach on Oct. 23.

Player to watch: Senior outside hitter Ali Barbeau had back-to-back All-Big West First Team selections coming into 2015.

2014 Big West Record: 8-8

Coaches’ View: “Santa Barbara is good, most of their players are returning, if not all. They were a pretty good team last year and they’re better this year. They can beat most of the teams in the conference on any given night.”

No. 11 University of Hawai’i: (9-1)

Last season, the Rainbow Warriors saw their 19 straight Big West title streak snapped by LBSU as they lost both conference matches to the 49ers. This season, Hawai’i was chosen to finish on top of the conference by the Big West coaches’ poll. The Warriors only loss this season came at the hands No. 13 UCLA. Hawai’i will look to avenge last season’s losses to LBSU on Oct. 11 in the Stan Sheriff Center then at the Walter Pyramid on Nov. 6.

Player to watch: Junior opposite Nikki Taylor leads the Big West in kills per set (4.83) and points per set (6.1).

2014 Big West Record: 13-3 

Coaches’ View: “I think [Hawai’i is] much better than they were last year. They beat No. 2 Florida and if they hadn’t lost the match to UCLA they would be No. 2 in the country.”

J. Kendall Wong

University of Hawaii Women’s Teams are refer to as “Rainbow Wahine” not Rainbow Warriors, those are the men!