CSULB student completes first day at Rolex Farr40 World Championships

Tatiana Misares, a 24-year-old senior engineering major at California State University, Long Beach, set sail as part of Farr 40 Worlds on Thursday at the Long Beach Harbor.

The event features 17 yachts from five different countries. A total of 170 crewmembers set sail on Thursday and will continue through Sunday.

Misares, who is on board the yacht, the Temptress, and her crew finished in 13th place with a total score of 38.0 on the first day of racing.

Rolex and the Long Beach Yacht Club sponsor the Farr 40. Some of the world’s most prominent sailors compete in the international championship, according to a press release from the CSULB Sailing Association.

“It’s an unbelievable opportunity to race with and against some of the best sailors in the world,” Misares said in the press release, “I didn’t believe it when [yacht owner Ray Godwin] invited me to join his team for the regatta. I never thought I would be sailing for a world championship.”

Misares picked up sailing two years ago after taking a course offered by the CSULB Sailing Association and had an innate gift for it, said her instructor Capt. Charlie Abbott.

The Temptress will continue to race through Sunday in the Farr 40 at the Long Beach Harbor.