49ers in the Pros: See you in Rio!

The United States men’s national volleyball team qualified for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Long Beach State alums David Lee, Paul Lotman and Dustin Watten helped Team USA win gold at the FIVB World Cup on Sept. 23.

See you in Rio?

Former LBSU great, and three-time Olympic gold medalist, Misty May-Treanor came out of retirement on Sept. 11 to play in the AVP Championships. The Newport native returned to the sand as a favor to another ex-49er, Brittany Hochevar. After finishing in third place at the tournament, May-Treanor didn’t rule out competing again, although making the 2016 Rio Olympics is almost entirely out of the question, according to NBC Sports.

MLB postseason bound

Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher and former Dirtbag Marco Estrada is having a solid season on one of Major League Baseball’s best teams. He has a 3.00 earned run average and a 2-0 record in six starts in September.

Ex-Dirtbag shortstop and current Dodger Troy Tulowitzki went down with a broken shoulder blade on Sept. 12 and has been out ever since. However, Tulowitzki told MLB.com’s Gregor Chisholm he is eyeing a return to the Jays’ lineup in time for the playoffs.

A pair of former Dirtbag right handers, Jared Hughes and Vance Worley, are also playoff bound; both with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

On the bubble

Los Angeles Angels pitchers Jered Weaver and Cesar Ramos are having decent Septembers as the Halos are trying to make the playoffs; they are half a game back from the second wild card spot in the American League.

Also on the bubble, but of a different kind, former LBSU men’s basketball star James Ennis is in danger of not making the Miami Heat’s squad in time for the 2015-16 season. Ennis has a chance at impressing the Heat when training camp starts on Tuesday.

Balling abroad

Two former 49er basketball stars found teams overseas in September. Former LBSU guard Mike Caffey was singed and will play in the NBIA in Hungary. Also, ex-49er and former Philadelphia 76er Casper Ware signed with the Tianjin Steel in China.