Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Weekend roundup

49ers skid to end road trip

By Josh Barajas, Sports Editor

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team started off its latest road-stand by beating Seton Hall, but ended it with a defeat at the hands of Virginia and two losses against Oklahoma State.

The 49ers started by participating in the 2015 Gildan Charleston Classic where they defeated Seton Hall 80-77 on Nov. 19 behind senior guard Nick Faust’s 16 points on 6-15 shooting from the field and 4-7 from behind the three point line.

Junior forward Travis Hammonds added 14 points and sophomore forward Roschon Prince scored 12.

The win meant LBSU would move on to a matchup with then No. 6 Virginia in the semifinals on Nov. 20. There the Cavaliers thumped the 49ers 87-52 to advance to the championship game.

Five Virginia players scored in double figures, while Faust led LBSU as the only player in double digits. Faust had 13 points on a 3-6 shooting night from beyond the arc; the Maryland transfer shot 4-10 overall.

The 49ers then suffered a narrow 82-77 loss against Oklahoma State in a consolation game on Nov. 22. LBSU managed to build a 63-61 lead with 9:15 to go, but the Cowboys were able to pull away and hold on for the five-point win.

Five 49ers scored in double figures, Faust led all scorers again with 15 points on 6-13 shooting.

LBSU finished the Charleston Classic 1-2 then lost a chance to break even on the road trip in a non-bracketed rematch with the Cowboys on Friday in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Oklahoma State held off the 49ers for a 79-73 win. LBSU cut the Cowboy lead to four with 32 seconds to go, but the comeback fell short after a missed three pointer by freshman guard Noah Blackwell and four straight made free throws by Cowboys guard Jeff Newberry.

Senior guard A.J. Spencer led all LBSU scorers with 16 points while Faust added another 15; bringing his average to 13.8 points per game. Sophomore guard Justin Bibbins dished out nine assists to up his average to 6.2 per game.

The 49ers next return home for a matchup with San Diego State on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. inside the Walter Pyramid.

49ers continue hot start

By Will Hernandez, Contributing Writer

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team defeated Northern Arizona, 69-48, on Friday then squeezed past Northern State, 60-59, on Saturday at the Pan American Center in New Mexico.

Five different 49ers finished the game against the Lumberjacks (1-3) in double-digits. Junior guard Anna Kim and sophomore Cecily Wilson each had a team-high 11 points.

Junior Jewelyn Sawyer, sophomore Jessica Gertz and freshman Chanterria Jackson each added 10 points.

LBSU’s defense disrupted Northern Arizona’s rhythm, as it forced 26 turnovers and converted 22 points off of them.

The 49ers led the entire game, getting out to a quick 9-0 lead in the first quarter. Although the Lumberjacks chipped away at LBSU’s advantage, the 49ers closed out the quarter on an 8-2 run and led 17-9.

But, in the second, Northern Arizona cut LBSU’s lead to 19-18 with five minutes left in the first half, but the 49ers then went on a 14-3 run and led 35-24 at halftime.

LBSU’s momentum continued at the start of the second half. A pair of Sawyer layups helped the 49ers ignite a 17-6 run in the third quarter, which extended its lead to 52-30. LBSU led by at least 20 points for the remainder of the game.

On Saturday, the 49ers (6-1) had their backs against the wall down by nine points with 4:20 left to play.

In the next two minutes, LBSU cut the deficit to one point after junior guard Raven Benton drained a three pointer.

The Demons (3-4) answered back with a couple of free throws, but LBSU’s late run resulted in them scoring 12 of the game’s last 14 points. Junior forward Madison Montgomery capped off the run by grabbing a steal with 30 seconds remaining and then scored the game-winning layup with 10 seconds left in the game.

Although the Demons managed to get two shots off, neither went in.

Montgomery had her best shooting performance of the early season, making seven of her 10 attempts. Sawyer managed to pick up a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds; she also dished out four assists and grabbed three steals.

The 49ers stay on the road for a matchup against Pacific in Stockton on Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Finishing strong

By Kayce Contatore, Assistant Sports Editor

Senior setter Jenelle Hudson looks on as sophomore middle blocker Ashley Murray (15) goes for a kill in LBSU's 3-0 win over Denver on Saturday, Nov. 28 inside the Walter Pyramid.
Ben Hammerton | Daily 49er
Senior setter Jenelle Hudson looks on as sophomore middle blocker Ashley Murray (15) goes for a kill in LBSU’s 3-0 win over Denver on Saturday, Nov. 28 inside the Walter Pyramid.

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team ended a season plagued with injuries in dominant fashion after picking up clean sweeps in the final five matches of the year.

The 49ers (25-6, 13-3) have not lost a set since their 3-1 loss to Hawaii on Nov. 6.

LBSU closed out conference play last week after matching up against rival Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside on Nov. 20 and 21, respectively. The 49ers swept the Titans at home before taking down the Highlanders, 3-0, in Riverside.

On Friday, the 49ers honored four departing seniors, middle blocker Hayley Benson, setter Jenelle Hudson, libero Lindsey Lawmaster and middle blocker Tiara Wallace, before the 3-0 win against Pacific University.

Hudson totaled 28 assists in the win against the Tigers, leading her team to a .255 hitting percentage on the night. Lawmaster finished the night with five digs and Benson slammed down three kills.

In the final match of the season, LBSU dominated the University of Denver in another 3-0 win on Saturday. The 49ers hit for .417 percent on the night, just the second time this season LBSU has reached .400 percent.

Sophomore middle blocker Ashley Murray led the 49ers in kills finishing with 11 on just 15 swings for a .733 hitting percentage.