Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

LBSU’s flat start lingers in loss to UC Riverside

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team failed to overcome a double-digit first half deficit in a 78-60 loss to UC Riverside on Wednesday night inside the Walter Pyramid.

LBSU (12-5, 1-2) made only five of its first 15 shots from the field, and just as the offense was struggling to put up points, the 49er defense had a hard time limiting the Highlanders’ offense.

“I just think we weren’t working as a unit,” LBSU sophomore guard Gigi Hascheff said. “We gave up way too many open looks and [UC Riverside] made us pay.”

With seven minutes remaining in the second quarter, LBSU freshman guard Chanterria Jackson converted a four-point play, giving the 49ers their first and last lead of the game.

Jackson, who finished with a team-high 17 points, said she is finally settling in as a scoring threat for LBSU.

“My confidence has improved game by game,” Jackson said. “My teammates tell me to shoot so that just gives me the confidence.”

From there on the Highlanders went on a 23-6 run to close the first half. Hascheff said the 49ers contributed to the run by not sharing the basketball.

“We didn’t move the ball very well and we started turning the ball over more,” Hascheff said.  “We need to get better and we are going into the game against Irvine knowing we have to get better.”

The 49ers limited opposing offenses to an average 56.1 points per game this season, but the Highlanders’ offense had no problem finding their rhythm.

LBSU’s focus on UCR’s leading scorer, senior Brittany Crain, created more opportunities for the other shooters. The Highlanders got a big lift from junior forward Rejane Verin. She finished the game with a double-double after putting up 34 points and 10 rebounds.

“They are very [hard] to defend so it takes a lot of time to prepare,” UCR head coach John Margaritis said. “We [will] be playing them again and it could be a lot different, but tonight we did enough to put the ball in, and we scored enough points to win.”

The 49ers chipped away at the Highlanders’ lead in the second half, but failed to go on any significant run.

Although it is the second loss at home to a conference opponent, Hascheff said the losses to Hawaii and UCR are no reason for the 49ers to panic.

“We get to play them early and play them twice,” Hascheff said. “The growing pains come out early and we are going to get stronger and better down the stretch. What matters are those last games leading up to the conference tournament.”

The 49ers will next  play UC Irvine on the road Saturday at 2 p.m.