Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Sports

No. 1 LBSU avoids upset at Cal Baptist

After splitting the first two sets, the top-ranked Long Beach State men’s volleyball team survived a potential upset by winning the third and fourth set to defeat Cal Baptist 3-1 on the road.

The 49ers (11-2, 8-2) were down 19-15 in the fourth set, but a 6-2 run tied the score at 21. The 49ers ultimately capped off their come-from-behind set victory by scoring four of the last five points on blocks.

Senior middle blocker Taylor Gregory led LBSU to its first win as the No. 1 team in the nation by scoring four straight points at the end of the fourth.

In the first set, sophomore outside hitter Bjarne Huus’ kill extended LBSU’s lead to 9-4, forcing the Lancers to take a timeout. However, Cal Baptist (7-8, 2-8) bounced back and were down 19-18 late in the first. The 49ers took a 1-0 game lead by closing out the first set 25-20.

The Lancers quickly rebounded in the second set, taking an early 9-5 lead and would win the set by a score of 25-17.

Freshman outside hitter TJ Defalco smashed three straight kills in the third set, giving the 49ers an 11-7 advantage. From there, LBSU went on a 14-9 run to close out the set and win 25-16.

The 49ers will face a reeling USC squad on Friday at 7 p.m. inside the Galen Center.