Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

LBSU loses in the first round of the WNIT

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team saw its season come to an end on Thursday, losing in the first round of the WNIT to Oregon, 84-76.

The Ducks had five players score double digits, with senior guard Lexi Petersen leading the way with 22 points.

As for the 49ers, junior guard Raven Benton led the team in scoring with 22 points while junior guard Anna Kim and sophomore guard Gigi Hascheff added 12 points.

LBSU shot the ball well, shooting 45.2 percent from the field and 32 percent from long distance. However, the Ducks shot 50.9 percent from the field and 46.7 percent from three-point land. They went 14-30 from three with Petersen contributing to six of those triples.

The 49ers started the first quarter by grabbing an early lead and holding on to it. LBSU led after one by a score of 25-19.

The lead was short lived, as the Ducks embarked on a 20-6 run over the course of five minutes in the second quarter to take a 48-36 lead at halftime.

In the third, the 49ers brought down the deficit to three at 56-53. Oregon would eventually pull away, and by the fourth quarter, the Ducks led by as many as 19 points.

LBSU fought back to end the game with an 11-0 run, but it was not enough.

The 49ers finished the season with 24-9 overall record, which marks the most wins since the 1990-1991 season. LBSU will see almost all of its players return next season with exception of senior Chantel Dooley.