LBSU sweeps San Jose State

After two solid games from their Friday and Saturday starters, the Long Beach State baseball team’s hitters came up big on Sunday as they beat San Jose State 6-2 to complete their second sweep of the season.

Senior Tanner Brown went three innings on Sunday, giving up six hits and two runs as the Spartans (16-36, 6-21) jumped to an early 2-1 lead in top half of the fourth inning after designated hitter Josh Nashed hit a home run to left field.

That was it for the Spartans as senior Ty Provencher, who replaced Brown, got out of the inning stranding one base runner.

LBSU (31-18, 11-7) wouldn’t trail long as junior first baseman Daniel Jackson tied the game at two in the bottom half of the fourth inning with a solo homerun to left field.

The Dirtbags took the lead for good after freshman centerfielder Brooks Stotler lead off the fifth inning with a triple. He scored after freshman second baseman Jarren Duran hit an RBI single to take a 3-2 lead. Junior Garrett Hampson extended the lead to 4-2 with his own home run to left field.

LBSU scored a run in the seventh and eighth inning to take the 6-2 win and its fifth straight.

Sophomores Chris Mathewson and Darren McCaughan took care of business Friday and Saturday as LBSU won 6-2 and 2-0. McCaughan threw a one-hit complete game shutout as he dominated the Spartans from start to finish.

“Today I was like I’m just going to keep doing what I was doing all game which is really just throwing the ball,” McCaughan said. “It was really big time to finish like that. I don’t see why we can’t do it again next week.”
The Dirtbags will now head to Loyola Marymount Tuesday before traveling to UC Davis for a weekend series. The games will start at 2:30 p.m. on Friday and 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.