Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Long Beach State beach volleyball team breezes to wins

Starting its season off at home, the Long Beach State beach volleyball team had no problem sweeping both of its matches against Irvine Valley College and Cal State Bakersfield on Saturday.

No. 7 LBSU (2-0) opened its season against Irvine Valley Community College and easily defeated the Lancers 5-0.

In the top flight, junior Rachel Nieto and senior Nele Barber defeated IVC’s freshmen Taira Ka’awaloa and Hannah Salaya 21-7 and 21-10. Nieto finished the match with 18 kills.

The No. 2 team of junior Sasha Karlov and senior Kobi Pekich also cruised to a quick 21-13, 21-8 win against IVC’s freshman Lucee Fitzgerald and sophomore Brittany Tuliau. Karlov made her debut for the 49ers in the victory.

Among LBSU’s matches against IVC included a win from senior Heather Weiss and senior Morea Wagner, who also won their match 21-11, 21-7 in their debut for the 49ers.

In LBSU’s second match of the day, the 49ers also had no problems working their way to a sweep.

Junior Anete Brinke started in her first match of the season alongside sophomore Zoi Konstantopoulou and the pair had no problems as they defeated Cal State Bakersfield’s sophomore Hannah Manzanares and freshman Madi Busler.

That was the only change in lineup for the 49ers and just as the team did against IVC, LBSU swept its matches from No.1 to No. 5.

The widest margin of victory went to No. 5, senior Jenelle Hudson, and sophomore Megan Kruidhof, who defeated their opponent, 21-5 and 21-7.

LBSU will be back in action Tuesday when they host Cal State Los Angeles and No. 7 Stetson.