Softball

Softball splits pair with Aggies on first day of conference action

In an afternoon doubleheader dominated by pitchers, the 49er softball team dropped the late game against UC Davis, 2-0, in extra innings despite another strong outing from freshman right-hander Taylor Petty.

Petty (8-3) lasted eight innings to post three strikeouts, nine hits and two unearned runs as Long Beach State (20-14, 1-1 Big West Conference) split its first two conference games at home with the Aggies (16-15, 1-1 BWC). UCD left-hander Alex Holmes (6-7) was credited with the win.

“Taylor pitched a nice game, but we didn’t put a good enough game behind her,” 49er head coach Kim Sowder said.

The freshman cruised through seven scoreless innings until the Aggies got two runners aboard in the eighth. A fielding error by 49er shortstop Alisha Rosen allowed UCD designated player Sarah Axelson to take first and moved first baseman Erin Emde to second.

On the next at-bat, Holmes lifted a two-run double to the centerfield wall to put UCD up 2-0.

“We didn’t have that many good at-bats,” Sowder said. “We gave UC Davis a lot of confidence. We kept them in the game and they took advantage of it.”

The 49ers tried to assemble a two-out rally in the bottom of the extra inning after right fielder Danielle Linke was hit by a pitch and left fielder Ashley Weber singled up the middle.

Third baseman Jennifer Griffin walked to load the bases, but designated player Kristen Pocock grounded out on the next at-bat to end the game.

Weber and catcher Brandy Reyes recorded two hits apiece, while Pocock added one.

“Every game is important,” Sowder said. “This is a tough conference. It’s going to be a battle.”

Sophomore tallies 22nd career shutout in 2-0 win

The 49ers blanked the Aggies, 2-0, in the early game behind a complete-game gem from sophomore right-hander Brooke Turner (11-7).

Turner struck out three and scattered five hits to move into eighth on the 49er all-time list in shutouts.

Center fielder Bridgette Pagano got the 49ers on the board in the second with an RBI single to drive in Reyes. The junior worked a full count before slapping the ball over the out-stretched arm of Aggie shortstop Kelly Harman to put the ‘Niners up 1-0.

“I wanted to get [Reyes] in with a double to the gap,” Pagano said.

Pagano went 1-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored. The junior was slated to be the 49ers’ second starter behind Turner at the start of the season, but since then, has converted to center fielder.

“It’s different, but I’m excited to finally get a chance to play,” she said.

LBSU manufactured another run in the fifth to go up, 2-0, when Holmes came in to relieve Aggie starter Jessica Hancock (10-8) with the bases loaded. Holmes beaned 49er first baseman Jonae Perez in the head, allowing Pagano to score.

Injury Note

LBSU shortstop Ashley Levine left the second game during the first inning after sustaining a deep cut to her leg while attempting to turn a double play. The injury required treatment with stitches. Levine remains doubtful for tomorrow’s series finale against the Aggies scheduled for 1 p.m.