‘Angry Mob’ riots Long Beach

From the left

Photo by Brittany Woolsey

From the left

Brittany Woolsey, Contrbuting Writer

Matt Kollar And The Angry Mob proved its anything by angry as it smiled and danced around the small stage of The Prospector Bar in Long Beach Tuesday night.

The band put all its strange little heart into the entertaining show as it played songs from its latest release, “Farewell Adventure.” It delighted fans with originals such as “Suburbia Blues” as well as its own rendition of Outkast’s “The Whole World.” Band members Matt Kollar, Timmy Red and Elizabeth Messick rapped each verse flawlessly and got the audience to cheer.

The band included bizarre things into its set, like viking helmets, a toy animal noisemaker, and fun costumes. Kollar said he had no idea the show was going to be a “viking beach party.” To make them even more unique, Kollar said the band used to have an accordion player. But one night he “spontaneously combusted” while playing a solo. To compensate, the band has hired its own personal belly dancer.

Along with creativity, the band also possessed strong talents. Kollar sang as well as played the piano and harmonica with stage presence similar to Andrew McMahon of Jack’s Mannequin.

Backup singers Messick and Red, almost stole the spotlight as they danced together and surprised the audience by stripping off their clothes to reveal ’60s inspired bathing suits. In one song, Red played a ukulele, which gave the song a lighthearted and fun feel.

The Angry Mob has played in several venues around Orange County and Los Angeles, as well as several shows on Main Street in Huntington Beach. The band has a variety of people in its audience, ranging from college kids to adults, and even singer/songwriter Matt Costa.

The band has yet to tour the U.S., but it toured and recorded in Canada over the summer. Kollar said that the response in Canada was very humble and different than L.A. because “there are so many bands and it’s very hard to distinguish yourself… Some guy gave us a $100 tip.”

Its upcoming EP release is due to be out this winter.

In the words of Ben Folds, Kollar said he hopes to “make a stadium feel like a living room and a living room feel like a stadium.”