Softball, Sports, Uncategorized, Women's Sports

LBSU softball team begins the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic

The Long Beach State softball team will try to bounce back from the Easton Desert Classic as it gets set for five games in three days in the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic in Palm Springs.

The 49ers’ (6-4) schedule is about to ramp up significantly with a doubleheader against No. 11 Kentucky (6-2) and No. 18 Missouri (4-1) on Thursday. LBSU lost its previous game against Northwestern on Feb. 15, but head coach Kim Sowder is not too concerned.

“I was actually happy with the way our team made adjustments towards the end of the [Northwestern game],” Sowder said. “We put ourselves in position, but we didn’t get that key punch.”

The 49ers are clicking offensively, averaging 5.7 runs per game through 10 games. A lot of their productivity is coming from new players.

Freshman infielder Julia Lombardi, along with several other newcomers, is off to a terrific start with a .391 batting average. She said she felt the team has been playing a “see ball, hit ball” style of softball.

“I feel like I’m not over thinking,” Lombardi said. “And I’m just letting myself play as I know I can.”

Tennessee transfer Haley Tobler and freshman infielder LT Torres are also making huge contributions. Tobler is tied for second on the team in hits, while Torres leads the team in on base percentage.

“I expected [the new players] to come out strong and work really well as a team,” Torres said. “And I think throughout the season we will excel and fulfill our potential.”

Kentucky is coming off its best season in school history after making it to the College World Series. They own a solid pitching duo in junior right-hander Kelsey Nunley and sophomore left-hander Meagan Prince.

The Wildcats have not allowed more than three runs in six of their first eight games.

“I think we’ll do fine if we take it pitch by pitch,” Lombardi said. “Not like, ‘Oh my gosh, we’re playing a top ranked team.’ If we go in thinking like that then we probably won’t do well.”

Missouri is also off to a statistically impressive start to the season. The Tigers have outscored their opponents 28-5. Their pitching staff has allowed more than one run in only one out of their first five games.

“We have some pretty big games this weekend, some tough schools,” Torres said. “But, I think we can hang. We should be able to compete and I think it’s going to be fun.”

The 49ers will travel to Palm Springs for the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic starting Thursday against Kentucky at 3:30 p.m.

They will face Oklahoma State (2-5) on Friday, and then wrap up the tournament with a doubleheader against Syracuse (4-6) and Maryland (6-4).