Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Sports, Uncategorized

Kyle Ensing and Josh Tuaniga get valuable experience with team USA

Following solid freshman seasons, Kyle Ensing and Josh Tuaniga added to their resumes after helping guide the U.S. Men’s Junior National Team to victory in the 2016 NORCEA U-21 Continental Championship July 10.

Competing in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada the duo pushed the USA to a 4-0 record after dropping only one set against Cuba in the finals.

Before advancing to the finals, the USA went undefeated in Group A, beating Barbados and St. Vincent. In the semifinals, the USA defeated host Canada in straight sets.

Tuaniga was a catalyst for the American team victory and was named the tournament’s MVP and Best Setter. In the final match, Tuaniga was dishing out assists as his USA and LBSU teammates tallied 15 kills on the day.

In the final, Ensing also tallied four blocks and seven digs. The pair’s performance led the USA to a 25-17, 29-27, 19-25, 25-22 win against Cuba.

Along with the team’s solid performance, Tuaniga had a memorable game in the semifinal against Canada after serving 14 consecutive points.

“I think that was the first time I have ever done that, that was crazy,” Tuaniga said in press release after the performance. “I’ve done maybe 10, at most. Fourteen was a rough one.”

Overall, the duo got crucial experience that will help LBSU when the two return to the 49ers for their sophomore season.