CSULB Assistant Professor of Dance showcases her company Acts of Matter at IMPLOSION: A Pairing of the Arts

A mentor, dancer, choreographer and Cal State Long Beach Assistant Professor of Dance are the many titles that Rebecca Lemme holds.

Lemme’s company Acts of Matter will be performing their show “Fragments” at the IMPLOSION: A Pairing of the Arts Festival in Santa Monica on Sept. 23-24.

The show is about breaking down boundaries and bringing people together in doing that. The dancers in the show, as well as her CSULB class, try to understand their own bodies instead of just mimicking her dance movements.

“I try to be really authentic in the moment with what is happening both physically but also [with] connections being made energetically between performers,” she said.

Lemme founded Acts of Matter in 2014. She wanted to be able to explore the world of dance outside of the university and focus on her own creative interests.

“I had a lot of students in the area and was excited about new opportunities and possibilities that were happening in L.A.,” Lemme said. “There was potential for growth and [I] think there has been a lot of growth in the five years I’ve been here.”

Lemme has been a faculty member for colleges and studios across the country, including Columbia College Chicago, Visceral Dance Center and Joffrey Ballet Chicago. Eventually, Lemme decided to stay and teach in Los Angeles.

Lemme starting dancing when she was three years old. She came to California in 2011 and received her Master of Fine Arts in choreography at California Institute of Arts in Valencia and began teaching at CSULB in 2013.

Lemme says it is vitally important to network in the community. As a mentor to her students, she hopes to provide resources and job opportunities by keeping up with what is happening in Los Angeles.

“I feel like there’s been a network opportunity for people who are like-mind and interest for creating work to come together,” Lemme said.

This showcase is an opportunity for anyone to experience live dance, not just those familiar with the industry. She says anyone can connect with her piece “Fragments.”

“‘[Fragments]’ is for any audience member who has ever felt they were seen as being important or part of a larger community,” Lemme said. “This piece seeks to create the sense of community, the sense of finding a home.”

IMPLOSION: A Pairing of the Arts Festival will be at 8 p.m. in the Highways Performance Space, on 1651 18th Street in Santa Monica. Tickets will cost $20 for general and $15 for seniors and students in advance. If purchased at the door, tickets will cost $25 for general and $20 for seniors and students. Purchase tickets online at http://highwaysperformance.org/highways/