Arts & Life, Music

‘The Chief’ takes charge

Hip hop artist Jidenna shows his range of talent, as well as a deep-rooted emotional side, in his first ever full-length album “The Chief,” released on Feb. 17.

Known for his single “Classic Man” and appearance in Janelle Monae’s “Yoga,” Jidenna’s new album takes listeners on a series of stories, from getting out of poverty, to dealing with heartbreak and standing up for equality.

The album features Jidenna showing his versatility as an artist, highlighting his talents as a vocalist. He shows his softer side in “Bambi” and sings about the heartache of losing a relationship.  

The song displays his vulnerability as he deals with the realities that come when love is lost.

The album as a whole, however, takes listeners through a variety of scenarios. He shows us his influential and political side in “Chief Don’t Run,” which tells the struggles of a child who grows up to be a strong person despite being raised in poverty by a single parent.  

“The Chief” is ultimately an album about overcoming the odds and it really hits on the “anyone can do anything” narrative which we’ve seen from Jidenna in the past, on the video for his breakout single “Classic Man.” He also shows his political views about race and equality by portraying himself as a symbol of positivity and civil rights, fighting for peace.

The album takes the listeners back in time as Jidenna uses horn instruments, Latin and African music influence and modern hip hop in each track. He also commonly uses animalistic metaphors to show his strength and the strength of his ancestors throughout “The Chief.”

Jidenna seems to have taken that “Classic Man” persona and put it into every track on the album. He shows his style of being well-dressed and flashy and  the journey of how he transitioned into the dapper rapper from the broke boy in a bad neighborhood. It pays homage to his personal upbringing and his Nigerian roots, that helped him strive toward his success.

“The Chief” has influences not only in hip hop, but R&B and reggae, too. There are even jazz and classical styles fused in songs throughout the album that will provoke both thought and emotion for those who hear it.